What is Respect?
Teaching resources about respect
Repect worksheets, lesson plans
Books about respect
"What if I say this, what could happen?" Teach children to think before they speak. More
How to treat others with respect, even when feelings are hurt. More
Learn self-respect by making choices you can be proud of More
Definition of respect for kids:
"What is respect" is a big concept to grasp. Try this definition of respect for kids, written in terms children can understand, and with examples of what is respect for others and what is respect for self.
A definition of respect includes 1) how you feel about someone and 2) how you treat him/her.
Respect is how you feel about someone
Having respect for someone means you think good things about who a person is or how he/she acts. You can have respect for others, and you can have respect for yourself.
Respect is how you treat someone
Showing respect to someone means you act in a way that shows you care about their feelings and well-being.
Showing respect for others include things like not calling people mean names, treating people with courtesy, caring enough about yourself that you don't do things you know can hurt you.
Examples of what respect is:
- You admire (respect) a historical figure who stood up for what she believed in, even when it was hard.
- You are quiet in a library to show that you care about (respect) others' need to read without interruption.
- You follow your parents' rules to show them you care (respect) how they feel about the situation.
- You don't call people names because you care about (respect) their feelings.
- You don't hit or otherwise hurt people because you care about (respect) their well-being.
- You dress, speak, and act in a way that shows you care about what you know is right and safe, because you care about (respect) yourself and your well-being.
- You don't interfere with other people's right to look, think, or act differently than you because you care about (respect) their feelings and well-being.
So what is respect?
- Respect is thinking and acting in a positive way about yourself or others.
- Respect is thinking and acting in a way that shows others you care about their feelings and their well-being.
Resources for teaching "what is respect" and more character traits
Respect Picture Books
Respect Lesson Plans
More Character Trait definitions